Philanthropic Fund Report
By: Edithe Fulton
I have been asked to fill the vacancy created by the loss of Joan Longarzo. Joan’s leadership at the helm of the committee allowed OCREA to fund and award scholarships to students aspiring to join our profession.
As we welcome 2019, I’d like to trace the progress that created this fund. During Peggy Keane’s administration, the leadership became aware that 50/50s, considered “games of chance”, must be approved by the state’s Legalized Game Control Commission. The officers created this fund in order to raise money to support scholarships. I am happy to report that the Commission has approved a renewal for the fund through January 2021.
As we hope to build this fund, we also accept memorial donations made in honor of someone you wish to remember. Our members’ ongoing generosity is amazing and much appreciated.
Scholarship applications have been sent to all the public high schools in Ocean County and are available through guidance counselors. The application is also available at OCREA.org. The deadline for submission is April 1st.
At the December luncheon, donations to Ocean of Love totaled $588. The 50/50 raffle awarded three prizes: first was $180, second was $105, and third was $75. We thank the Women of the Wavelet who staffed the 50/50 raffle table and delivered the many door prizes. At the March luncheon we will accept donations for Harbor House, a charity that offers a safe haven for troubled teens.
Until then, stay safe, healthy, and look forward to spotting the first crocus bloom!!!!
Support the OCREA Philanthropic Fund
Support Ocean County’s future educators by donating to the OCREA Philanthropic Fund. Send checks, payable to OCREAPF to:
2017 Baltimore Ave.
Ortley Beach, NJ 08751.
For memorial donations, please include the name and address of the person to receive the acknowledgement.
Thank you for your support.
Ocean County Retired Educators Association
Philanthropic Fund College Scholarship
This award of $1,000 is for one year (non-renewable) to a student who:
- will graduate from an Ocean County public high school this year.
- has been accepted to a 2 or 4-year college and is pursuing a degree in education or been accepted by an accredited trade/technical school to earn certification in a vocational field of work.
- is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
The applicants must submit the following:
- the attached application form, completed.
- a high school transcript with SAT scores, GPA, and rank in class.
- two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a teacher at the high school. Letters must include contact information. An applicant’s relative may not provide a letter of recommendation.
- a brief but revealing essay as to why you are pursuing a career in education or a statement of goals if you are attending a trade/technical school, typed double-spaced in 14 pt. font.
- a list of extracurricular activities, athletics, community services, honors, and employment.
All information must be postmarked on or before April 1, 2020to:
Attn.: Edithe Fulton
537 River Terrace
Toms River, New Jersey 08755
Application Forms for Scholarships from NJREA
Below are links to the Scholarship forms given by NJREA.